Friday, February 8, 2013

My Devil's Eye


In the whirlpool of dust we scrambled
for a treasure that was untimely lost.
Fighting a scalding summer heat
covered not even by  its insurance cost.


Close to my heart it was,
winning me many a great bloody war.
In the world of marbles, my “devil’s Eye”
embellished with a gory battle scar.


On a mission to redeem pride we dug,
into the muddy earth and flea infested lands.
Alas! The ice cream man had struck his gong,
rainbow candies loaded in his dirty hands.


As the recovery team erratically broke apart
rummaging for coins their pockets would hold.
I too childishly groped with an excited face,
only to find a rusty coin so surprisingly cold.


As I swiped away the sweat, secretly longing
for a bite at the colored frozen cone.
Buried into a forgotten past was the quest
for my mistress of misery; the shining glassy stone.


As I hid my face in shame,
a captain without money, a general stripped of fame.
A friendly shoulder pulled me close,
my alter ego marching a path to save my name.


He was just a minion in my gang,
a helping hand who truthfully tagged along.
Until destiny pointed me to the same person,
in whom my trust to eternity safely would belong.


Sucking the sole lemon ice, as we walked
Into the orange horizon, our heads held high.
Memories of my lucky charm grew wings,
into a deserted history it began to fly.


Neither tears of despair be shed
nor a sorrow wail would ever again pine.
For, a loss had led to brotherly love,
A lifelong gain forever to be mine. 

PS: Games in the yards of childhood.

1 comment:

  1. Cheers to all those success where, Efforts are precious than outcome!
    Journey is memorable than destinations!!

    ReplyDelete